Sunday, February 26, 2012

Thanks USAF

Almost three months into this adventure, we have all realized that the costs are really more than what we expected. Obviously there was the money that we dropped on the actual guide service for the climb itself, which was probably the most anticipated. Once that was paid for we all figured there would be a few hundred dollars each person would have to spend on gear. How wrong we were.

There really is no set amount or even estimate that each person is going to spend on gear. It all depends on how much stuff one wants and how fancy that stuff has to be. There is also the possibility of renting items as well to keep cost down.

After going through my gear a few times, I realized that I really had hit the jackpot. It took me several times perusing through my garage and man cave to actually realize what I have. Each time I went through my stuff I came across a new item that I had somehow acquired in the past. Ive even found extra items that I was able to loan out!

Once I started gathering all this stuff up I realized that I really made off well when I got out of the military. All of the items (with a couple exceptions) on the gear list for Mt Rainier that I already have and don't have to purchase, came from the USAF. I left there with easily over a thousand dollars of gear. It took a few trips to REI and frequent surfing on backcountry.com to realize that I am saving a lot of money thanks to the military.

Some items I wont be purchasing because of the Air Force: Gortex jacket and pants (2 sets of each, desert and woodland: Ill be rocking the desert), fleece jacket and full zip fleece pants, down sleeping back with compression sack (rated to -50), gortex boots (still need mountaineering boots), summit bag, glacier glasses, basic climbing hardware to include webbing, prussiks, rope, beaner, long underwear, a couple MRE's and my backpack (although I wont be using my military issued pack).

I've always told people when asked about the military, that it was the best decision I have ever made; this is just one more reason why it is. A big thanks to the United States Air Force.
Down sleeping system with configurations for temps from 30 to -50

Boots
Waterproof pants and jacket

No comments:

Post a Comment