Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Gear list


Slowly but surely I'm checking items off the Mt. Rainier gear list. One of my first orders of business was to find some insulated pants, just as much for zipping up as an outer layer during breaks and while in camp on Rainier as for lounging around my cozy Ballard apartment.

The decision between down and synthetic was an easy one because 1) down costs like $200 more than synthetic and 2) my roommate Travis, an avid climber, said I'd be find with synthetic. In his experience, there's no way I'd actually be hiking in them, synthetic does better in somewhat wetter environments and they'll keep me plenty warm especially with a layer or two underneath.

Thus, I went with the Patagonia Micro Puff Insulated Pant size large. At nearly 5'10'', the large is a perfect size and will easily slip on over other layers and the full-length zip will make it so I don't have to take off my crampons on the mountain to get warm. Plus, the price was right, ordered off of BackCountryUSA.com.

Best of all, they arrived the night before Seattle Snowstorm 2012 and I got to wear them in to work today. :-)

Probably my favorite part about ordering things online is the UPS delivery guys. Nobody else knocks on a front door like those guys, like they've got two sets of balls.


-Patrick

Link to Patagonia pants I bought: http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-micro-puff-insulated-pant-mens

No comments:

Post a Comment