Sunday, June 10, 2012

Flattop Mountain, Chugach State Park, AK

Flattop is probably the most popular local hike out of Anchorage, particularly because it's only 20 minutes outside of town.

Flattop Mountain to the left, Chugach State Park, Alaska
I decided to pack light, bringing only my trusty ice ax. Most of the trail was dry, but there were some spots of snow, slush and even some ice, and I was happy to have the ax as I ascended toward the summit because it made for much quicker travel than trying to hug the large boulders.
Heading up to the summit, I stayed in the snow to the right and practiced self-belay with the ice ax.
I have a confession. In all the time I've trained for Rainier I have not actually summited a single mountain. Breathtaking, I know. Thinking back, there is no summit at Lake 22 but the lake never even came into view due to the shoe debacle. Mt. Pilchuck was a joke, having to hike from the Heather Lake trailhead; there was no way we were going to summit, without a tent at least. Kalcema Lake was beautiful, but again no summit. The Muir attempt was just that, another attempt. Although, white-out conditions contributed to that failure. On Bird Ridge, my slippery Romeos make getting up the snow impossible. Even in Denali up Sable Mountain, we stopped at the first summit peak below the actual summit (due to a combination of wind, snow and the fact that I wasn't sure if it was allowed because we were flirting with the wildlife closure and I didn't want to get us kicked out of the park).

It's a good omen, nevertheless, to get my first summit only a week before the real deal. 1.5 miles and 1280 feet of elevation gain ain't too shabby either.

Finally, a summit shot!!
The way down was considerably more fun. I traversed the large snow field leading up the the summit, practicing my footwork while using the ice ax. I was able to practice kick-stepping, glissading and self arrest skills even earning a "Wow, that was awesome," from a couple of hikers after I made it all the way down.


 The picture on the right shows the snowfield that I came down. Can't wait for the real thing next week!!!!

-Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment