Monday, June 4, 2012

Making out your gear check

Yes, the title comes from the category "Before and After" from Wheel of fortune... So how much does a trip to the summit of Mount Rainier cost?

While going through my gear check list and seeing what items I had left to purchase (because I hadn't already spent enough), I started wondering how much I ended up spending on all this shit that I had to buy.

At first, I thought I made off pretty good. I had accumulated a lot of items from the service and through the years (See prior post "Thanks USAF") and with the help of Craigslist, ebay, REI coupons and Backcountry.com, had managed to find good deals and closeouts on many of the items I did have to purchase.

Still, looking at this list of gear I was required to have I was curious how much I did spend. Luckily, I save all my receipts; both digitally and a hard copy. I was able to make an itemized list of all the things I purchased with their price next to it:


Gloves – 58.95
Crampons – 170.00
Ice Ax – 67.00
Helmet – 50.00
Mountaineering Boots – 53.00
Harness – 80.00
Trekking Poles – 66.00
Snow Shoes – 63.73
Caribbeaners – 15.00
Compass – 37.42
Hiking Pants – 50.00
Lightweight Pants – 68.00
Full Zip Pants – 35.18
Down Coat – 76.00
Hat – 20.00
Baclava – 24.00
Gaiters – 35.00
Nalgene Bottles – 16.00
Stuff Sack – 37.00
Cup/Bowl – 8.00
Spork – 9.00
Rainier NP Pass – 30.00
Freedom of The Hills – 20.00
Rainier Climbing Guide – 14.00
Challenge of Rainier – 15.00
Transceiver Rental - 6.00

Add all that up and it comes to a grand total of 1134 and some change. This doesn't include the price of the guide/course which is 1355.00

I asked my two climbing partners if they had an itemized list of their gear as well. Cyrus immediately replied back with an itemized list that included the item, the brand and the cost. Looking over it I realized he had included all the gear he had collected over the years. He did later tell me "this is my life's investment in gear that will be in some way used for the trip". I added up everything he sent me. Talk about sticker shock: $4616. However, there was 700 dollars of travel related expenditures in his list because he decided to move to Minnesota. 

There are still a few more small items that I will need to buy such as ear plugs, duct tape,, sun screen and some other random essentials like toiletries. I also am responsible for my lunches and snacks but whether or not I'm on the summit of Rainier, or sitting in Lake Stevens, a guy has to eat. At most the rest of my random items will be under 50 dollars. On a good note, my REI dividend should be awesome next year!

So, total price for Cody to summit Rainier: 2539.00

Cost of spending three days hiking through Mt Rainier National Park and hanging out on the highest Volcano in the lower 48 with two badass friends: Priceless

No comments:

Post a Comment