Sunday, June 17, 2012

MSP to SEA

Because I can't simply throw my gear in the car, jump on I-5 and end up at Paradise, I thought I'd show how I packed my gear for the flight from St. Paul to Seattle.

Knowing that I would fly in for the climb, I decided to rent a fair bit of gear. This allowed me to travel light and I packed the following:

Frame pack
Soft-shell jacket/pants
Hard-shell jacket/pants
Base layers (2x)
Gloves, balaclava
Headlamp
Water bottles (2x), water reservoir
Sleeping bag w/ thermolite liner
Sleeping pad
Socks (and liners) (3x)
Camera + otter-box
Pack rainfly
Trekking poles
Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills

I also knew that I would go on one last training hike (Heather Lake) and then relax at Suncadia Resort after the climb, so I packed my convertibles, hiking boots, reefs, some casual clothes, and my trusty MacBook Pro.

All of these items fit into my REI Mars 85 and North Face Surge daypack. Couldn't have done it without heavy-duty compression sacks. Also, my business unit approved casual Fridays for the summer (as though we needed anyone's blessing). Using this to my advantage, I wore my hiking boots and casual wear to work to cut down on my luggage.





Sent a flurry of emails to wrap up loose ends, set up my away message and snuck out of work @ 3 pm. Got a ride to the airport from a friend (Thanks Mary!) and avoided paying for parking. I used my North Face bag as a carry-on and checked my frame pack for $25. I put the frame pack in a military surplus duffel; I didn't want the straps or belt to get caught in any of the baggage handling equipment. Drank coffee on the flight and re-read the chapters on glacier and snow-field travel. Unfortunately, I had an isle seat and I was sitting between the wings so I wasn't able to see Rainier on the flight in. However, I did get a nice view from Sea-Tac, and even from US 2 in Everett. Always amazing just how big that mountain really is. Can't wait to hit the trail.

Now I'll be watching the Rainier recreational forecast....

1 comment: